“The Rapier Wit experience is unlike any other. They expect an incredible amount out of their students which makes them rise above where they believed they could go. No-one is left in the dust and everyone is treated like an actor, not just a fighter.” –Intermediate Certification Student
Looking for general info on weekly drop-ins, workshop types, or custom training? Check out our Training page.
Plan ahead for these must-have courses!
**SPECIAL** Rapier Wit’s 2018
Is you current certification level about to run out? Have you let it run out already? Rapier Wit has just the workshop for you! We are offering recertification workshops for basic, intermediate and advanced actor combatants. These compact workshops will allow you to brush off your skills, and prove that you can still perform at the level you previously achieved. We recommend that you review the material for your level before attending. Space is limited, so register asap!
Basic: Monday March 26,10-5 with an hour lunch
Intermediate: Tuesday March 27,9-6 with hour lunch
Advanced: Wednesday and Thursday March 28 and 29, 10-4 both days
These workshops will run with a minimum of 4 participants, and a maximum of 10 at each level. The costs for the workshop including HST are: Basic – $169.50, Intermediate – $197.75, and Advanced – $226.00. Please note, this does not cover the cost of renewing your FDC membership if you are successful.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register. Full payment is requested to hold your space. Hope to see you soon!
Rapier Wit’s Spring/Summer 2018
Stage Combat Certification Programs
Over the course of these certification classes, some of Canada’s best stage combat professionals will take students through training designed to help their progress as physical performers. Classes will focus on successfully creating the illusion of violence through armed/unarmed techniques and application of acting craft. Participants will have the opportunity to test for certification with Fight Directors Canada, Canada’s only nation-wide and internationally-recognized stage combat association. Space is limited, so register early!
Dates/Times – subject to change
FDC Basic Actor Combatant Course A
May 13-25, 2018, 9 AM to 6 PM daily, with one rest day
FDC Intermediate Actor Combatant Course
May 28-June 14, 2018, 9 AM to 6 PM daily, with two rest days
FDC Basic Actor Combatant Course B
June 17 – 29, 2018, 9 AM to 6 PM daily, with one rest day
FDC Basic: Single Sword, Unarmed, Quarterstaff. Approximately 90 hours.
FDC Intermediate: Rapier & Dagger, Broadsword, Small Sword, Eastern Martial Arts. Approximately 120 hours.
FDC Basic: minimum 8, maximum 12
FDC Intermediate: minimum 6, maximum 10
Basic fee (including HST): $1305.15 for members*, $1928.06 for non-members
Intermediate fee (including HST): $1720.43 for members*, $2550.98 for non-members
All fees are in Canadian dollars. A $150 deposit is required at least one month prior to workshop start date in order to reserve a place in the class.
*The term ‘members’ refers here to members of Rapier Wit, FDC, CAEA, ACTRA and IATSE. Students referred by our fellow Toronto Association of Acting Studios instructors also qualify for the Member rate.
Registration and Payment
Please visit our Contact/Register page for registration and payment instructions. After you register, please wait for confirmation of a place in the class before you send payment.
- If you’re considering certification, please visit our Stage Combat Certification page for detailed information about the FDC certification program at Rapier Wit. You may also want to take a look at our FAQ.
- Times, dates and instructors are subject to change where absolutely necessary, but every effort will be made to give reasonable notice.
- In order to test for certification, students must become members of Fight Directors Canada. Membership fees are paid directly to FDC. Visit www.fdc.ca to become a member before signing up for classes and you’ll save significantly on Rapier Wit class fees by receiving our “member” rate!
We are committed to helping our students achieve their goals and are always happy to answer questions. Feel free to call or e-mail us with whatever inquiries you have regarding certification, testing, time commitments, class schedules, stage combat disciplines, physical requirements, FDC. . . anything you want to know!
Rapier Wit’s Squad Tactics and Weapons B Training Workshop
This workshop is intended for actors who want to be able to accurately portray military or armed services personnel and enact engaging tactical maneuvers. Taught by Fight Master Daniel Levinson and tactical expert Shawn Hamilton. Participants will review firearm stances, drawing, transitions between long gun and handgun, moving as an individual and a team. With further work open space movement, advances and withdrawals detailed hands on work operating the functions of the M4 and room clearing through a complicated “Kill House” set up.
Dates/Times – subject to change
Saturday April 7: 1 PM to 4 PM Sunday April 8: 1 PM to 4 PM
Fees, Registration and Payment
The full course fee is $254.25 CDN (inc. HST) for members of FDC, Equity, Actra, Rapier Wit, and Dimesar, and $395.50 for non-members (inc. HST). Full payment is required upon registration. Rapier Wit rate ends March 26. For payment method options and full registration and payment information, please contact us.
• The class will proceed with a minimum of 6 students, maximum of 12.
• Instructors, dates and prices are subject to change; every effort will be made to give reasonable notice of
• Classes will run at the Rapier Wit Studio, 575 Wellington St. West, Toronto.
Rapier Wit’s PAL/Stage and Screen Firearms Workshop
April 14 – 15 and April 22, 2018
This is a ‘must’ course for performers, directors, and designers. Our focus on the entertainment industry’s needs makes this the only one of its kind in Canada. Our participants will get the opportunity to train and certify for their non-restricted as well and restricted firearm license.
The PAL (Possession/Acquisition Licence) course (days 1 and 2) is taught and examined by a Canadian Firearms Safety Course Instructor. The Stage and Screen Techniques practical class (day 3) is taught by PAL-certified FDC Fight Master Daniel Levinson. You may take one without taking the other if you wish, but the information in the Stage and Screen Techniques segment does build on that presented in the PAL course so we highly recommend taking the PAL first.
Dates/Times (please note different start and end times for each date)
PAL portion: Saturday April 14, 2018, 9 AM to 4 PM class, with exams until 8 PM, AND Sunday April 15, 2018, 10 AM to 3 PM class, with exams until 6 PM.
Stage and Screen Firearms practical day: Sunday April 22, 2018, 10 AM to 3 PM
What Tuition Includes
- Restricted and non-restricted firearm textbooks, training and testing
- stage and screen-specific training, including safety, aesthetics, choices in blank ammunition, performance scenarios
- experience firing blank ammunition with various theatrical firearms (a variety of longarms and handguns) including the ammunition for blank firing practice
PAL course fee: $220.00, textbooks $32.50 due on the first day of workshop and paid to PAL instructor.
Rapier Wit Fee: $180.00 (includes HST) for members*, $300.00 for non-members
A $100 deposit is required in order to reserve a place in the class. There is an additional license fee for the PAL which is to be paid directly to the government; instructions for paying this are given during the class.
*The term ‘members’ refers here to members of Rapier Wit, FDC, CAEA, ACTRA and IATSE. Member rate may be applied only if fees are paid in full before March 26, 2018.
- Instructors, dates and prices subject to change; every effort will be made to give reasonable notice of changes.
- Classes will run at the Rapier Wit Studio, 575 Wellington St. West, Toronto.
- Class size will be a maximum of ten participants
- We recommend that students review the restricted and non-restricted firearm textbooks in advance of the PAL segment. We will notify registered students as soon as textbooks are available for pickup at the studio.